Sunday, February 20, 2005

How to Secure your Computer for Free

Hey guys, I spent my last to last new year eve repairing my computer after a computer crash, I was so frustrated that I decided that I have to find a simple, safe and free method of computing. After 14 months of using and testing various products here is what I recommend...

1) Anti-Virus - AVG Anti-virus from Grisoft
It’s free, small to download and as good as the bloated and expensive Norton in every respect, and probably better on its day.

2)Sygate Firewall, don't you ever trust the inbuilt Microsoft firewall, though some people prefer Zone Alarm but I felt that Sygate is faster and more user-friendly, with a very useful incoming/outgoing transfer meter.

3) I always preferred a dedicated anti-spy ware beyond the anti-virus, and Spybot S&D {Search&Destroy} is as good as it gets.

4) It my seem contradictory to the above but its
Lavasoft's Ad-aware a good compliment to Spybot especially for the ad wares, spybot specializes in spyware.

Though this small guide is not an example of the genius of mankind, but it should be extremely helpful for lots of people looking forward for safe computing experience. Your suggestions are always welcomed.

Note: All these utilities are free (yes free, not shareware) for personal use, u may consider updating them just once in 15 days, or whenever there is virus threat around
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work man! Keep it up. You've done a great service to some hapless souls out there.

PS: You must've already submitted your site and blog URL to google. In case you haven't do it before their spider crawls the web on it's next cycle.

PPS: Why don't you publish your blog directly to your website using the nifty ftp feature that comes with blogger. But be careful with that, it zapped my entire blog once!!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with what vinit mangan
said in his comment, thanks a lot dude.

invadesoda said...

It's been over a year ago now, but my hotmail account started getting flooded with spam the moment I registered to download AVG--maybe there is a way to download it without giving out an email address; if not be sure to use a throwaway address.